- What are the official school colors for Appalachian State University?
- For Appalachian State Gold use PANTONE 116
- For Appalachian State Gray use PANTONE 423
- For Appalachian State Black use PANTONE Process Black
- What qualifies as a trademark, logo or symbol?
Any mark, name, logo, symbol, nickname, abbreviation, word, mascot, slogan, insignia uniform or landmark that is associated with Appalachian State University and is distinguished from any other university, team or organization.
- Who must be licensed?
Any individual or company that wishes to receive Appalachian State University's express permission to use any or all of its trademarks/logos on products or for services sold in the marketplace, whether wholesale, retail or online. Other activities, such as some non-commercial use of trademarks/logos, may or may not need to be licensed. Some activity may constitute fair use or free speech so as not to require license. Advice in that regard should be sought from your own legal counsel.
- How long does it take to obtain approval?
A decision on any license request will depend on the nature and extent of the use being applied for, the number of trademarks involved, the number and diversity of products for which the trademark or trademarks will be used, and other possible factors, such as whether the University believes there is a need to seek legal advice on the application. However, in most cases, an answer will be provided in 30 days or less.
- What products can be licensed?
Appalachian State University also will not license activity which it believes would disparage the University or any of its trademarks, or would be libelous, slanderous, scandalous, offensive, vulgar or constitute an unfair trade practice, or otherwise reflect negatively on the University. Some activity may constitute fair use or free speech so as not to require license. Advice in that regard should be sought from your own legal counsel.
- How can you obtain a licensing application?
- Do I have to submit art for approval?
All art designs must be submitted and approved by the Office of Trademark Licensing at Appalachian State University prior to products being produced. Student organizations and university departments internal request form can be found online and submitted. All other artwork approvals should be submitted through the Affinity Gateway software.
The University may not require persons who are not part of University-recognized student organizations and University departments to submit artwork for approval. However, as stated in Enforcement, the University "will use every means within the law to vigorously pursue any infringement of our federally registered trademark rights."
- How do we use Appalachian's trademarks with other trademarks (co-branding)?
Any use of University marks with other trademarks must be approved by the Director of Trademarks and Licensing.
As stated in Enforcement, the University "will use every means within the law to vigorously pursue any infringement of our federally registered trademark rights."
- How much does it cost to become licensed?
The cost for a Standard License Agreement is a 12% royalty fee for Appalachian State products.
- How can I get a Mountaineers License Plate?
You may obtain a Appalachian State University license plate from your local NC county DMV office location or at the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles office in Raleigh, North Carolina or by going on-line to: www.ncdot.org/DMV Below are some questions and answers about the Mountaineers License Plates. Visit Appalachian's Alumni site for more information on Mountaineers License Plates.
- How long will it take to receive my Mountaineers License Plates?
Your Appalachian State University Mountaineers license plate is normally received within four to six weeks.
- Do I have to be enrolled at Appalachian State University or be an Alum or faculty member to order Mountaineers License Plates?
- How much does it cost to get a Mountaineer License Plate?
$25.00 extra for a Appalachian State University license plate and $30.00 extra for a personalized collegiate Appalachian State University license plate
- I understand that out of the extra $25 for this plate, $15 goes back to the Appalachian State University general scholarship fund. Is that $15 tax deductible?
Yes, it is considered a charitable contribution.
- Do I have to pay the extra $25 renewal fee each year?
Yes, with the same provisions.
- What am I receiving for the additional $25 for my Appalachian State University Mountaineers license plate?
You are publicizing Appalachian State University wherever you drive, displaying your Mountaineer pride and providing scholarship money for students.
- How does Appalachian State University ensure products are manufactured in an approved facility?
Our licensing agent, Affinity Licensing works closely with the Workers Rights Consootium (WRC) Advisory Council and Executive Committee, as well as regularly attending meetings, seminars and industry events covering anti-sweatshop considerations. Affinity Licensing has also visited several of its clients campuses to participate in educational meetings with students and staff regarding this issue, and has addressed numerous on and off-campus interest groups. Affinity Licensing requires all active licensees to disclose detailed information regarding manufacturing locations used to produce licensed merchandise. Manufacturers applying for a license are required to disclose this information during the application process. Minimally, LLPrequires each licensee to adhere to the code set forth by the Workers Rights Consortium (WRC). Interested parties may view FLA's code of conduct here.